Final Examinations

Final examinations are given at the end of each semester on a day and hours specified on the Exam Schedule on myMount.

Students may not be excused from examinations or make any changes (time or day) in the schedule without the approval of the instructor. A change in the examination schedule may be made for serious reasons ONLY (e.g. serious illness of a student, serious illness or death in a student’s family, when more than two exams are scheduled on the same day, etc.). The make-up examination day and time is scheduled between the instructor and the student.


The final grade assigned by the instructor at the end of the semester is based on the student’s achievement during the term and the final examination. Each grade (except "P" or "S") is assigned a specific number of quality points per credit hour. A student’s grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credit hours attempted (excluding courses graded "P" or "S") during the semester. The grade point average of a student is computed on courses taken at the Mount and on approved courses taken through the Greater Cincinnati Consortium and overseas consortium programs.

Grading System

The grading system, with quality points assigned each grade, is as follows:

Grade Quality Points
A Excellent achievement of course objectives 4.00
AU Audit (not calculated in GPA) 0.00
B High achievement of course objectives 3.00
C Satisfactory achievement of course objectives 2.00
D Minimal achievement of course objectives 1.00
F Failure 0.00
FA Failure due to absence
Grade option for the mid-term grade if student stops attending class prior to the mid-semester.  The grade would remain FA for the final grade if the student does not withdraw from the class or improve performance.
I Incomplete
(Incomplete grades are initiated by the student with a course work completion plan. Incomplete grades, if not changed by the instructor, convert to an "F" the following semester.)
IP Current term in progress 0.00
NC No credit 0.00
NR Grade not reported 
Grade not reported by instructor, through Consortium, or external institution as of deadline for reporting grades for each semester/academic term as established by the Registrar’s Office (the “Grade Deadline”).  NR grades do not calculate into Grade Point Average, do not count for academic credit towards graduation, and cannot be changed more than one (1) calendar year after the Grade Deadline.
P Pass (not calculated in GPA) 0.00
S Satisfactory (not calculated in GPA) 0.00
SP Satisfactory Progress
Grade option for thesis, research, clinical, and internship courses that may exceed one semester in length to complete with no credit towards graduation awarded until completion of the course requirements. SP grades must be changed to a letter grade within one (1) calendar year of the deadline for reporting grades as established by the Registrar’s Office the first semester the student was registered for the course or the SP grade converts to an “F” grade.
U Unsatisfactory 0.00
W Withdrawn (not calculated in GPA) 0.00

Students who receive a grade of "F" or "FA" must repeat the course to obtain credit.

Pass/Fail System

A Pass/Fail system is offered to encourage students to explore new areas of knowledge without concern for effects on their grade point average.

Degree seeking students who have completed 48 semester hours may register for one course per semester if the course has been designated in the Semester Policies and Procedures as being offered on a Pass/Fail basis. The course must be an elective; that is, it must not be taken to satisfy core curriculum requirements or requirements in the student’s major or minor field. Students need to specify "PF" as the preferred grading option on their registration form. Selecting a class for "P/F" needs to be done in person in Student Administrative Services, Conlan Center. Exceptions are made for permitting "P/F" courses to satisfy major or minor requirements if the course/credits are only graded on a pass/fail basis. Non-degree seeking students may register for courses offered on a Pass/Fail basis without 48 semester hours previously earned.

Students must be in good academic standing to register for Pass/Fail, and must complete all course requirements satisfactorily (i.e., earn a D or higher in the course).

If a student wishes to change from Pass/Fail to the grading system or vice versa, the changes in day or evening classes must be made in Student Administrative Services during the first five weeks of class for a traditional semester course. For accelerated and summer sessions, students must declare the "PF" grading option or preferred change to a letter grade during the first quarter of the course. Pass/Fail credits are counted in the maximum credits allowed for a semester or term of study.

Grades of "P/F" or "S/U" will be assigned. Although credit is given for a "P" (or "S") grade, it does not affect the student’s grade point average. A grade of "F" (or "U"), however, does calculate in the grade point average.

Credit hours for course work with a "P" or "S" grade are counted toward the residency hours and total hours earned required for graduation. However, credit hours earned for "P" or "S" grades (which are not calculated into the grade point average) do not count toward the minimum 42 semester hours for graduation with honors.

Change of Grade

If for a serious reason an instructor must change a student’s grade, the instructor must submit a Change of Grade to the registrar and give a rationale for the change. Only instructors are authorized to change grades.

Grades may be changed by an instructor after the end of a semester only if:

  1. an error is discovered in the determination of the original grade assignment; or,
  2. the automatic “I” (incomplete) to “F” (failure) conversion needs to be corrected.

Grade changes cannot be made which exceed a time limit of one [1] calendar year after the original grade assignment. This includes the grade of “SP” (satisfactory progress) which must be changed to a letter grade within one [1] calendar year after the original grade assignment. Grades cannot be changed in courses that are part of a student’s earned degree once or after the degree is officially noted on the academic record. Grade changes become official when received and recorded by the Registrar’s Office.

Repeated Courses

Any undergraduate may retake a course in which he/she received a grade below an “A,” took as an audit, or earned a “W” for withdrawal. A student may enroll a maximum of three times in a course under this repeat policy. This policy also applies to a transfer course which repeats an equivalent Mount course.

The credit hours of the repeated course are counted only once, except in topics courses where the content varies with each offering. When a course is repeated, the credit and highest grade earned will be the one counted in the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) and toward graduation requirements. The student’s academic record, however, will show every attempt at a course and a grade for each attempt.

Course Age Limits

Each academic department regulates the acceptable age limits of courses required in their discipline. Refer to departmental policies in this catalog.

Grade Reports

"Progress Reports" are electronically submitted by instructors to identify all students who are not doing satisfactory work. Advisors and students are electronically sent copies of the "Progress Report".

"Mid-Term Grades" are mandatory for all undergraduate students and can be viewed in myMount after the mid-term grade period is complete.

Academic grade reports are issued from the Registrar’s Office to students at the end of each semester or term. Students have full access to their grades via the Web. Grade reports will be mailed only upon receipt of a written request to the Registrar’s Office, Conlan Center.


Transcripts of a student’s complete academic record at the University are obtained only upon written request from the student.  An official transcript (one bearing the University seal and the authorized signature of the Registrar) is sent directly to a third party and/or institution specified by the student. An official transcript issued to the student is labeled “Student Copy.” The university is not permitted by law to issue copies of documents from other institutions. Only official transcripts are released to a student or a third party. All financial obligations to the Mount must be resolved before release of a transcript will be permitted. 
A transcript issued to the student is marked "Student Copy."

Transcripts can be ordered and sent electronically.  Complete information regarding a transcript request can be found at